#121 Counting Stars, a little book review

I think I'm getting my blogging mojo back! If you read my last post (x) you'd know that I recently finished Counting Stars by Keris Stainton (aka the love of my life) so I thought I'd share with you my little review!


















Title: Counting Stars


Author: Keris Stainton


Pages: 324


☆ Format: paperback


Publication: 3rd September 2015, by Hot Key Books


☆ Rating ★★★★

Big city, big dreams, no money, no problem...
Six 'friends', one flat, big dreams... what could go wrong? When eighteen-year-old Anna leaves school and moves to Liverpool, she feels like her life is finally beginning. She's landed her dream job at a theatre, and she's moving into an exciting (if not slightly run-down) flat on a buzzing street lined with shops, bars, and buskers. Best of all, her new flatmates are kind, welcoming and a lot of fun - what more could she ask for?
















Just like I do with most of Keris' books I fell absolutely head over heels with this story and the characters, (my favourites were definitely Molly, Sean and Alfie) In typical Keris style all six friends feel like real people with real problems trying to manoeuvre their way through life.

Initially, I thought the whole story would be from Anna's point of view but we get an insight into each friend allowing us to get a real feel for each character!
There was the perfect mix of drama, laughter and tears and I was hooked from the first page! Counting Stars is one of those books where you find yourself just getting lost in the words!















I don't think I've ever read a book set in Liverpool so getting to experience the city through Anna's eyes was a lot of fun and it's definitely made me want to give the city a little visit in the future!


Something about Counting Stars just feels so safe? It's a comforting story, just six friends bumbling through life aided by tea and alcohol which I love! Don't get me wrong I love plot-heavy books but a lot of time I'm itching to read a character based story where not a lot happens but it still has you completely hooked and Counting Stars does this 100%!

Reading Counting Stars has got me even more excited for its unofficial sequel 'My Heart Goes Bang' which comes out in June!















Do you prefer plot-heavy books or do you prefer slow burners where there isn't a plot at all?


Comments

  1. I'm going to sound like such a bad person, but I have never heard of Keris Stainton. My excuse is that I was never a big reader, until a few years ago. I prefer plot-heavy books. Like I've said, I'm not a huge reader, so I need a book to be full of story so it grabs and holds my attention. Recently I finished reading 'My Heart & Other Black Holes' by Jasmine Warga and I just couldn't put it down.

    Aycan - Little White Socks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I just read Here We Are Now by Jasmine! Also don't worry I only read my first Keris book last year! x

      Vicki x

      Delete
  2. I love your photography!This seems like a book that is right up my street.

    Ciara | teatimewithciara.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve not heard of this author but this books sounds great. Thanks for a great review I will look out for this author in the future when I’m choosing a new read.

    Melanie | www.frasersfunhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This books sounds great. I like books which are more character based usually but there's still quite a strong plot (if that makes sense). I haven't read anything set in Liverpool either I don't think so that could be interesting too. Your photos are amazing here as well x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for reading, please do leave a comment it helps a lot x