#115 Undercover Princess, a little book review *

If you've been reading my blog for a while you might know that one of my favourite youtubers out there is Connie aka Noodlerella, so imagine my excitement when I found out back in January that she was writing a book series (I actually squealed in the library at uni). 
Also imagine my excitement in August when Connie told me was going to ask Penguin to send me a proof copy which landed through my letterbox last month!

*This uncorrected bound proof was sent to me for free to review, however, all views are my own*

























Title: Undercover Princess

Author: Connie Glynn

Pages: 373 (288 in final hardcover copy)

☆ Format: uncorrected bound proof

Publication: November 2nd 2017, by Penguin

☆ Rating ★★★★☆

When fairy tale obsessed Lottie Pumpkin starts at the infamous Rosewood Hall, she is not expecting to share a room with the Crown Princess of Maradova, Ellie Wolf. Due to a series of lies and coincidences, 14-year-old Lottie finds herself pretending to be the princess so that Ellie can live a more normal teenage life.
A thrilling world of parties, politics and bad ass princesses, this is the first book in the brand new series THE ROSEWOOD CHRONICLES.

image via (x)










 

The first thing I noticed when I started reading Undercover Princess was Connie's natural writing style that feels so welcoming and easy to fall into, making the magical world of Lottie and Ellie to really come to life.

I instantly fell in love with Lottie and Ellie, two very distinctly different characters but I was so invested in the way their relationship bloomed and there was very much a running theme of girl power and girls supporting girls weaving through the story, which I'm always 100% down for in literature, YA or not!


“Lottie, the only thing I’ve ever been with a boy is annoyed”























Rosewood Chronicles had its moments when I was on the edge of the seat and I couldn't put the book down but I also found myself taking my time with it. I wanted to devour it after having read so much contemporary recently, I was loving being sucked into this world of mystery, drama and of course princesses!

Another thing I loved was the little pop culture references Connie had put into the narrative such as nods to the Disney princess and Star Wars, two things Connie is known for loving. I felt this made it bit more realistic in this fantasy-esque world I feel like in YA there's not much mention of pop culture something that a majority of teenagers engage with on a day-to-day basis.

"She’d discovered a temporary remedy for her symptoms of sleepiness; coffee and concealer, lots of both”


















The majority of Rosewood Chronicles takes place at Rosewood Hall, an elite boarding school. The only boarding school experience I have is from Harry Potter, Double Act by Jacqueline Wilson and Girlhood by Cat Clarke and now Connie's Undercover Princess. Connie herself attending boarding school giving her plenty of knowledge on how things work in that environment and it definitely came across in her writing!



Overall, I really enjoyed Undercover Princess what with it's YA cliches and heartwarming nature.
I can't wait to dive back into Lottie and Ellie's story in the second book and see how the rest of the series!


Undercover Princess by Connie Glynn is out on the 2nd November 2017! You can preorder the first book from Waterstones and Amazon!





Comments