#87 Wing Jones, a little book review

If you read my Mini 2017 TBR (don't fret if not - here's the link x) you will know that how excited I was to read Wing Jones by Katherine Webber, well week two of 2017 and I'm in love!
























I started reading Wing Jones on Saturday whilst on a train to Manchester and carried on reading it on the way home. By late afternoon on Sunday I'd finished with tears (both happy and sad) on my cheeks.

This book guys! This! Book!
Not only is it visually stunning (it has purple and pink ombre pages!!) the way Katherine writes is just incredible, the way she describes Wing's laughter as "feathers" and the way she describes how Wing's emotions is simply breathtaking!























The book is all about Wing, she lives with her mum, her Chinese grandmother, her other grandmother from Ghana and her brother Marcus.
Set in 1995 after "tragedy strikes" (which had me holding back tears on the train pretty early into the book btw) Wing discovers she can run, to the point where she is the 
fastest in Atlanta!


Full of love, heartbreak, pure joy and some amazing diversity the book is incredible and has definitely become on of my favourites!

I truly loved the diversity in this book, Wing and Marcus are both mixed race - black and Asian. Marcus' girlfriend Monica is white and his best friend Aaron is black.
As well as diversity race wise there is also the cutest lesbian couple, Eliza and Annie, who's sexuality is never made to be this big thing, they're just a happy couple.
One of my favourite moments was when Wing's Chinese grandmother LaoLao got Eliza and Annie mixed up with an old Jewish friend of Wing's and thinks the girls don't eat pork.

'LaoLao shrugs unfazed by our giggles. "Well, maybe lesbians also don't eat pork, I don't know"'
















This book honestly deserves all the praise and hype it's getting and I hope I've convinced at least one of you to pick it up and give it a read!



Vicki x
Disney princess in training 

Comments

  1. I've been seeing this book all over social media (because you're right, it's gorgeous! Those pinks and purples!!) and it's great to see that the story lives up to the front cover! The diversity in the book sounds like a winner - super refreshing! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    Abbey 😎 www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review :) I felt the same, that this book is incredible!
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for reading, please do leave a comment it helps a lot x